Taco Tuesday is a BIG deal at our house! It is by far my children’s most favorite week night meal! Without fail, I will pick them up from school and my son will ask, “Taco Tuesday, right Mom?” I assure him, that yes… It is taco Tuesday… again.
I love tacos as much as the next person, but sometimes I like to shake things up a bit. Sometimes I want Polish food on a Tuesday night, SCANDALOUS! Sometimes I want all those great Mexican flavors in a different presentation, not the same old low carb tortilla or taco salad, hence the birth of my Mexican Stuffed Cabbage Rolls.
Although, I can hardly call these “Polish” cuisine… It is definitely reminiscent of the traditional Galumpkis that I adore! Cabbage leaves wrapped around ground beef and spices, topped with a tomato sauce… heaven.
These cabbage rolls are filled with savory ground beef, spiced with garlic, oregano and jalapeños and topped with a salsa tomato sauce and as much cheese as you please! Oh, and don’t forget the sour cream, trust me!
Serving size: 2 rolls at 8 net carbs
Makes 5 servings
1 lb of ground beef
1 head of cabbage
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
1 10oz can of diced tomatoes with green chilis, drained
1/2 cup chunky salsa
1/2 cup diced bell pepper, I used an orange bell pepper
1 clove of garlic minced
1 jalapeno, deseeded and finely diced
1 1/2 tbs chili powder
2 tbs fresh parsley
2 tbs fresh cilantro
1 tsp minced fresh oregano (can use dried 1/2 tsp)
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
6 oz of shredded cheddar
- preheat oven to 375′, lightly grease a 9×13 pan and set a large pot of salty water to boil.
- Core cabbage, by making triangular cuts into the core on an angle. Remove core and place cabbage core side down into the boiling pot of water.
- Boil for 5 mins and then flip and place a lid on the cabbage. Steam/boil for 5 more mins
- Once cabbage is tender you should be able to remove outer leaves one at a time. You will need 8-10 leaves, depending on the size of your cabbage leaves. Remove leaves and place them on a paper towl to dry. You can save excess cabbage in fridge for up to 4 days to use in other recipes.
- In a frying pan, brown your beef, remove excess fat if needed. You want to have at least 2 tbs of fat remaining in the pan.
- Add diced peppers, jalapeno and garlic to the meat and sauté till peppers are tender.
- Add in dry seasonings; chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt and fresh oregano.
- Add in the 10oz can of drained diced tomatoes and green chilies. Cook for 5 mins or so to meld flavors. Once fragrant, remove from heat and stir in parsley and cilantro. Set aside to cool slightly
- In a small mixing bowl, mix salsa and 8oz can of tomato sauce.
- Assemble cabbage rolls: Take a leaf and fill with 2 tbs of meat mixture. Fold, like a burrito/envelope. Place the rolls in a 9/13 pan. See pictures.
- Cover with sauce of salsa and tomato sauce and top with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 mins. Then remove foil and cook an additional 15-20 mins until cheese is browned and melted.